Future continuous

Future continuous

di Consiglia Marchese -
Numero di risposte: 2

Dear teacher,

I have got some issues with the future continuous.

When do we use WILL+ BE + ING? And why? What do we express by using it?

Thank you so much!

Have a nice day.

In riposta a Consiglia Marchese

Re: Future continuous

di Claire Jenkins -

We can use FUTURE CONTINUOUS to say that something will be IN PROGRESS at a specific moment in the future. This is usually the first use of FUTURE CONTINUOUS that students encounter.

(I'm going on holiday next week)

- This time next week, I'LL BE LYING on a beach / I'LL BE DRINKING cocktails by the pool.

(I want to watch the big football match tonight)

- Don't call me tonight - I'LL BE WATCHING the big match!

Now, in unit 8B, you have studied two more possible uses of FUTURE CONTINUOUS and maybe these are new for you.

1. We can use FUTURE CONTINUOUS to make POLITE ENQUIRIES about people's plans. By using FUTURE CONTINUOUS, the speaker shows that he/she does now want to influence the listener's intentions in any way.

Look at these examples from Practical English Usage (by Swan):

- Will you be staying in this evening?  (very polite enquiry - I want to know your plans)

- Are you going to stay in this evening?  (here I'm pressing for a decision)

- Will you stay in this evening, please?  (an instruction / order)

2. We can use FUTURE CONTINUOUS to refer to future events that are fixed or decided, or which are expected to happen in the normal course of events. There is no suggestion of personal intention.

- Professor James will be giving another lecture on photosynthesis at the same time next week. 

- I'll be seeing you soon, I expect.   (this is not planned, but I expect that it will happen based on my previous experience)

As it says on p.155 in the grammar bank of your student's book: we use it to emphasize that we are talking about something that will happen anyway, rather than something we have planned.

- I'll be seeing Laura tomorrow.   (this gives the idea that you haven't arranged to meet Laura, but you expect to see her anyway because that's what usually happens)

Let me know if you're still having problems, Consiglia.

This clip from BBC English Masterclass is also useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bFhZXEOiVk