BBC NEWS REVIEW

di Claire Jenkins -
Numero di risposte: 8

Please post your answers here.

In riposta a Claire Jenkins

Re: BBC NEWS REVIEW

di Sara Castellammare -
BBC NEWS REVIEW
1. How can ‘lockdown’, which usually has such serious and negative connotations, be used in a joking way?
This verb can be used in a joking way, for instance, I could say: “I have to study lots of things for tomorrow, therefore I won’t talk to anybody and I won’t take the phone. I’m on lockdown”. In this case, being on lockdown shouldn’t be taken seriously because I am not really on lockdown; it is something I say to mean that I am in a full-immersion study and I don’t want any distraction. 2. Which prepositions are used with ‘lockdown’? Give examples with complete sentences.
In → The street was in lockdown after the gas explosion.
On → The building was on lockdown following the security breach.
To - phrasal verb → The building was locked down following the security breach.
3. Is quarantine a noun or a verb? Give examples with complete sentences. Quarantine can be a noun and a verb.
Noun → My dog went into quarantine when we moved to another country.
Verb - often used in the passive tense → People are being quarantined because of coronavirus.
4. Which verbs can collocate with ‘quarantine’?
The verbs are: to be into quarantine, to go into quarantine, to put someone into quarantine.
5. List three more words that you know (not from the video) which start with the prefix ‘self-‘.
Self-consciousness, self-love, self-confident.
6. According to the clip, how is self-isolation different from quarantine?
Self-isolation means keeping yourself away from other people, it is a decision you take, so it is voluntary. Quarantine, on the contrary, is something that an authority has implemented on a group of people or an area and therefore it is not voluntary.
In riposta a Sara Castellammare

Re: BBC NEWS REVIEW

di Claire Jenkins -
Excellent work, Sara! Just be careful with 'quarantine' collocations. We would indeed say 'to go into quarantine' and 'to be put into quarantine'...but we say 'to be IN quarantine'. OK?