BBC NEWS REVIEW

por Claire Jenkins -
Número de respostas: 8

Please post your answers here.

Em resposta a 'Claire Jenkins'

Re: BBC NEWS REVIEW

por Sara Castellammare -
BBC NEWS REVIEW
1. How can ‘lockdown’, which usually has such serious and negative connotations, be used in a joking way?
This verb can be used in a joking way, for instance, I could say: “I have to study lots of things for tomorrow, therefore I won’t talk to anybody and I won’t take the phone. I’m on lockdown”. In this case, being on lockdown shouldn’t be taken seriously because I am not really on lockdown; it is something I say to mean that I am in a full-immersion study and I don’t want any distraction. 2. Which prepositions are used with ‘lockdown’? Give examples with complete sentences.
In → The street was in lockdown after the gas explosion.
On → The building was on lockdown following the security breach.
To - phrasal verb → The building was locked down following the security breach.
3. Is quarantine a noun or a verb? Give examples with complete sentences. Quarantine can be a noun and a verb.
Noun → My dog went into quarantine when we moved to another country.
Verb - often used in the passive tense → People are being quarantined because of coronavirus.
4. Which verbs can collocate with ‘quarantine’?
The verbs are: to be into quarantine, to go into quarantine, to put someone into quarantine.
5. List three more words that you know (not from the video) which start with the prefix ‘self-‘.
Self-consciousness, self-love, self-confident.
6. According to the clip, how is self-isolation different from quarantine?
Self-isolation means keeping yourself away from other people, it is a decision you take, so it is voluntary. Quarantine, on the contrary, is something that an authority has implemented on a group of people or an area and therefore it is not voluntary.
Em resposta a 'Sara Castellammare'

por Claire Jenkins -
Excellent work, Sara! Just be careful with 'quarantine' collocations. We would indeed say 'to go into quarantine' and 'to be put into quarantine'...but we say 'to be IN quarantine'. OK?
Em resposta a 'Claire Jenkins'

por Rosa D'Errico -